Sunday, January 15, 2017

Taking over the world... one beast at a time!


So, the strangest thing happened... 

Two weeks ago, I released an unusual new pattern.

It was a little odd... left of centre...

not at all mainstream!


 


I wasn't even convinced that anyone would use it...

I expected maybe two or three people to join in the fun...

I was kind of WRONG!!!!!

Already the pattern has been downloaded almost 500 times,

and the family of INNER BEASTS is growing

*****

Let me share some of the images which are warming my heart.

These are NOT made by me,

but are either made using my pattern - or are inspired by it...

*****

Loren is the brains behind the INNER BEAST MOVEMENT, as she is the 
clever one who challenged me to design a beast and create a pattern to be shared with others.

This is her BRAINLESS WONDER!

Part beast, and part gremlin...
 He loves to tangle Loren's yarn, 
hide her tools (especially the yarn needles) 
and otherwise thwart her efforts to finish projects

You can view Loren's project page here - and read more about him

I especially love the blue "outie" horns, those mismatched eyes... 
and the tufts of yarn at the side of the face, 
where I imagine his ears are - and also on the top of his head


 
*****

Meet Leslie's Inner Beast...

Of course, purple is my favourite colour - so I was always gonna love this guy!

But check out those tufts of hair and psychedelic eyes

(don't stare at them for too long or your head will start to spin)



*****

Cyra has gone all ARTSY with her contribution
(and I love it)

Meet BERTHA BLING... her friends call her BATTY!

Half woman and half beast, Bertha occupies her days by creating havoc and laughing very loud.
 
She's been known to kick over glasses of water, hide the back door key,
leave a tap running in the bathroom, tip over a box of yarns... 
and even left a hand/claw print in the un-set jelly!!!

But how could you possibly stay mad at her?

She's glorious - and reminds me of a Greek goddess!



I also love that's she has mastered the 
"DUCK FACE" pose, when taking a selfie!

 
*****

From artsy to SWEET... meet Heather's creation!

It looks to me like this INNER BEAST craves sweeties...

(I'm sure we can all relate to that)
 
I'm in love with the featured beads, the button heart... 
and who can resist a glitter pom pom nose?!?!



*****

Last one for today is MAMA'S SCHATJE by Ria...
 
Schatje means Sweety... 
and Ria made the beast for her mother (who suffers from dementia)
in the hope that it will help her when she's feeling down or angry.
 
I don't know how Ria's mum feels about this little guy - but I LOVE HIM
 
Especially the way his body is so consumed by yarn tails,
that it almost loses it's shape entirely... it makes me wonder whether 
he was a SHAPE SHIFTER in a previous life

He somehow manages to look like a pile of yarn ends 
(left over after weaving in a large striped blanket, or something similar)
just lifted itself up from the counter and came to life!
 


 *****
 
But we can't be finished JUST yet... 
because I haven't spoken about our PRISONER from the top of the page 

Clever Nell is the mastermind behind this one...
and the reason I have been singing "he used to bring me roses, I wish he could again"
(for those non-Aussies who might not be familiar, it's the theme song from Prisoner, 
an Australian soapie set back in the late 70s/early 80s... have a listen here
 
Nell was also my partner in the yarn swap,
 so it is her yarn ends you see on display in my INNER BEAST pattern 
 


Nell has added dangly messes coming from the head of her beast, 
to represent all the miserable thoughts he’s trying to throw at her... 
and a comb over hair do, just because it suited him!


But it didn't stop there...


Nell also went on to create a miniature beast - using embroidery thread and a 1.25mm hook!

The very aptly named MISS BALANCIA was created to remind Nell to seek a balance in her life. 

She’s about 3 inches tall, and carries a fan in her long arm to cool down Nell's racing mind. 
She has punk rocker clones knot spiked hair, and a diagonal mohawk down her back and tummy.
Oh, and she has a pink moustache, which apparently matches Nell's.

(I've yet to meet Nell, but with a pink moustache - it sounds like she'd be easy to spot in a line up)

Here's a photo of those two beasts together, 
so you can really appreciate how TINY the MISS BALANCIA really is!


*****

I'll be back soon, with more photos of the ever growing tribe!

You're welcome to bring your very own INNER BEAST to life...


and there are several CROCHET-ALONGs happening on Ravelry

Join in the fun, in one of these three places:



 



 








2 comments:

CrochetQueen said...

So great to see all these creations and how our participants are adding their very own variations and creativity to their finished beasts! Love them all!

Jensalittleloopy said...

I love how they are all so different!